Monday 18 May 2009

A sandwich spread

I've been getting email updates from US food magazine Gourmet for a while now, but this morning there were two recipes that really caught my eye. One was for a cashew chutney spread, for which I could deploy my lovely Anila's mango chutney, and the other was for an accompanying radish pickle. Here's my take on them - I've used American measures as I have a set of much-loved US cups, bought when I first discovered the bread books of Beth Hensperger.

Cashew Chutney spread

1 cup cashew nuts
1/2 tsp Madras curry powder
1/2 pack Philadelphia cheese
1 tsp mango chutney
1 chopped spring onion

Whiz the cashew nuts and curry powder in a processor. Tip out into a bowl and combine with the cheese, chutney and onion. In the pic above, it looks a bit like wall paper paste, but it tastes great! And to go with the sandwich...

Quick radish pickle

A handful of radishes - I had nine - cut them in half
1 tsp salt
3 tbs rice vinegar
2 tbs sugar (I used unrefined castor)

Sprinkle the salt on the radishes and leave for about half an hour.
Heat the vinegar and sugar until the sugar melts.
Wash the radishes and bung into the vinegar mix to marinate.

I'm looking forward to lunch tomorrow...

1 comment:

meemalee said...

I love radishes and I love pickles so now I love you for giving me a radish pickle recipe ;)