Saturday 20 June 2009

Mango-lacquered chicken

During one of my recent visits to Gourmet.com, I came upon a recipe with the most gorgeous name: peach-lacquered chicken wings. It hinted at fleshy warmth and sticky blackness. I thought I'd have a go at something similar, but using a couple of my Alphonso mangoes and some chicken fillets.

Mango-lacquered chicken fillets

2 mangos, peeled
3 garlic cloves
2 inch pieces of peeled ginger
2 tbs shredded mango chutney (I used my Anila chutney)
4 tbs light soy sauce
4 tbs water
1 red chilli (or 1 tsp dried chilli flakes)
5 or 6 chicken mini fillets, or 2 normal sized ones

Take your mango flesh and whiz in a processor with the garlic, ginger, chutney, liquids and chilli.

Pour into a bowl and add your chicken. Leave to marinade for a couple of hours. When you're ready to cook, you can go several ways: grill, watching like a hawk, until done, or bake in an oven gas mark 5 for 20 mins, turning once, or do what I did: pop into a Remoska for around half an hour.
I served up with some couscous to which I'd added a couple of chopped tomatoes, lots of fresh coriander and a spritz of lemon juice. A lovely summer dish.

No comments: