Thursday 30 April 2009

The joy of cauliflower

I'm always pleased to see a cauli in my veg box - it's a veg I love. Sometimes it gets the salad treatment but this evening it'll be time for that old standby, cauliflower cheese. I've always adored this dish - my mum made it every once in a while, and I think I pretty much stick to her recipe. She always added a pinch of paprika to the cheese sauce - a lot of today's recipes call for mustard or mustard powder in the bechemel, but I add Lea and Perrins, like my mum. Some of the recipes online add (to my mind) some strange ingredients, like onion and pasta.
I'm pretty sure that mum's recipe came from an old Good Housekeeping recipe book that was her kitchen bible. One alteration I've made is to have equal quantities of gruyere and chedder - I love the smoothness and extra cheesiness that the gruyere adds. Another change came after I'd read Mark Hix's recipe - he boils the cauli in milk rather than water, so that you get instant cauli-enriched liquid for the bechemel. I've always added some of the water I've boiled the cauli in to the sauce, but now I use a milk/water combo to cook the cauli.
Pics and recipe later when I get cooking.

No comments: